Conceived and created by Pamela Howard, World Stage Design ‘Living Legend’
Overture: The audience arrive
• An artificial 'field' with a strange Tower
• 10 ‘pods’ surround the Tower
• Each ‘pod’ has window shutters that are closed.
• An old Monk with a mobile phone stands on the steps leading up to the tower entrance and directs the audience to walk round the tower, and open each window.
• As each window opens and 5 minute video with Music and a performer automatically plays.
• Each video/film tells a story of one of the Provinces of Canada
• The Monk aims to get everybody to finish facing pods 1, 2 & 3
• The entrance to the Tower is closed with an old red theatre curtain
• The Monk rings an old ship's bell on a chain.
Development: The Revelation
• The Monks opens the Theatre Curtain
• Walls l, 2 & 3 rise to the top of the supporting poles
• The interior of the Tower is revealed
• An Angel rises to the top of the Tower
• A small chamber orchestra of 6 modern musicians plus a conductor on a wooden crate
• 6 singers begin the Voices of Canada Cantata, an original composition taken from elements from the videos shown in the pods
• Wooden benches can be used to sit or stand on.
Coda: The Finale
• The audience applaud
• The Monk, The Walls 1,2 &3 fall into their first position
• A ships bell rings and the performers descend the steps.
• The Monk throws off his habit and is revealed in White as a Nun (Hildegard of Bingen)
• The nun orders the benches to be put together as a Platform
• The orchestra emerge from the door and ladder at the back of the tower, and assemble at the edge of the field
• The performers continue the Coda of the Cantata with the audience either side of their platform
• A rainbow appears
• A Great Finale!